Tuesday, July 14, 2009

ReFinish Me!




It took us a while to finish the old wooden table that my grandmother gave us. The table was worn and stained. It was covered with nail polish, food and ink stains and much more.....residue of bad habits and practices. Surprisingly, the years of "wear and tear" did not destroy the foundation. The "carpenter" made this table with the thought that it would go through some rough spots. The "carpenter" made this table with the best "materials." The type of wood that will withstand "kicks and bruises." The "carpenter" left His signature on this table through His unique craftsmanship and design. This table is a one of a kind.

As my husband and I began to sand the table down, to strip away the old evidence of bad practices and bad habits, I thought about how God is working in me. How He is so patient and takes time to mold my mind, restructure my thinking about my bad habits and practices. As we worked to smooth the surface and wipe the table clean, I began to reflect on how God removed the bad practices and habits out of my life. He even removed people that were not benefiting me so that I would make a smooth transition into where he wants me to be. As we began to stain the table to make it "look" new again.......I thought about THE BLOOD OF JESUS and the symbolism behind it. The sacrifice that was made to make me knew again in Him.

I thank my grandmother for that table. I have had it for years and it was just there serving no purpose (or at least I thought it wasn't). I never understood where my love of antique furniture came from. I am fascinated with the craftsmanship and art of it. I am amazed at the power of the mind and the hand. As I began to meditate this morning, I remembered that this wonderful skill dates back to biblical times. It was no accident that Jesus was born into a family that practices carpentry. Joseph, Jesus' stepfather, was a skilled carpenter. Jesus references carpentry in several of His sermons. I understand where my passion comes from. It has been there all along. "The Carpenter" is doing a wonderful work in me and in you. My thought for today is REFINISH Me, Oh Lord!!!

No comments: