Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Success???

Success

I passed the Georgia Teacher Certification Exam!!! Someone sent me a message congratulating me on my success. It puzzled me!

Is there success in what has been accomplished? According to the American Heritage Dictionary, success is defined as "the achievement of something desired, planned, or attempted." (American Heritage Dictionary, 2007) It is not my success. It is His! I am being obedient to what God wants for me and His people. If I could have my way, I would be a real estate agent or something that "just sounds good." It is not my success because I submitted my life to Him to be a steward of His works. I truly believe that a great life lived is a life of service or stewardship. The career or life that has been chosen for me is truly a life of service and stewardship. Teaching is a ministry. It is not for the weary, the lame or the faint of heart. Teaching is for soldiers, militants, the brave, mighty and strong. Teaching is not about academics. It is about ministry, encouragement, motivation and inspiration. I have always wanted to be a teacher. I got side-tracked along the way, but I am back. I had the misconception that teachers had to be "book smart." After all, teachers are responsible for teaching everything (LOL!!!) I am by no means an academic!!!! I am following the protocol to get to where God wants me to be. The schooling, certification exams, student teaching, evaluations, parents, and students are all tests, foundations, and molding of my armor for this great journey that is to come for me. After entering the field of education, I quickly learned of my misconceptions about teachers. Teachers are responsible for more than academics. Teachers are required to act as the mother, father, motivator, counselor, doctor, lawyer, accountant....and the list goes on. We also serve as punching bags for the media, parents, children and adminsitrators. We, teachers, endure all of this for servants pay!!!!! (LOL!!!)

So you ask, "Why would you choose a career like that?" My response: I did not choose this career, "it" chose me!!!!! Once His plan is fixed.....it is fixed!!!! I don't have a choice in the matter. So, every morning, I suit up with my armor and I head to Flat Shoals Elementary School, praying that I will touch a life for the day. At the close of the school day, I sit and reflect on the reciprocal. Everyday and child touches my life.

I accepted the position (I really did not have a choice in the matter). I am constantly equipping myself for my position. I am so motivated by the great teachers and influences in my life. I know that they were placed in my life to serve as inspirations for my current journey. Great teachers are in my blood: My mother (taught me to read and balance a check book very early), grandmother (still working for the Head Start Program as a Teacher at 80!!!!!!!!), Mrs. Bridges (Kindergarten Teacher), Mrs. Longshore (2nd Grade Teacher), Mrs. Mary Anne Phillips (6th Grade Reading and Math Teacher), Dr. Scott (10th grade English Teacher. She is an awesome teacher! She inspired me to write.), Dr. Braun (College Chemistry Professor), Mr. Freddie Hendricks (Theatre and Performing Arts Coach), Aunt P. Latimer (Husband's Aunt), Mrs. B. Stallworth (Mother-In-Law). These women and men are great teachers and awesome motivators. They have all encouraged me to remain positive.

The energy that I receive from my influences puts me in a place that is unattainable to unbelievers. I will attempt to explain. I am high on life right now. I am unstoppable! I am handicapped by faith. It was faith and grace that saw me through this test. My covering and armor is so strong that I cannot witness the weapons that form against me. I have an air about myself because I am an heiress to His kingdom. I cannot walk around with my head hanging low. I have to look to the hills from which cometh my help. I am so blessed.

Although I have passed this certification exam, I have not “arrived.” The journey has just begun. I cannot wait to see what God is going to do next. I will wait and be obedient and submit to His will.

2 comments:

Mamie said...

Congratulations Lori! Always remember God created and designed you for success. He wants us to walk in harmony and victory.

It is such a joy for me to read your blog. I am so proud of you!!

Love you,
Mamie

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! You are a go getta!!!You stuck with it. That is how we need to handle everything in life. God has our road already paved,some people donot understand that,and when things go astray it's not God's punishment it's our own free will. It's the fact that we strayed. Well you stayed on track, as I had to follow this same road back in the eighties, and we both made it.
Peace,
Karen